How To Spring Clean Your Blog

2.4.16





I have recently made a few changes to my blog layout, not that I didn't like it before, everything was in the way I wanted, but I've had it for quite sometime now that I ended up getting bored, that's the thing about me, I get fed up of the same things easily, I can't tell you how many times I change my header in a month.
I didn't change the entire template, just a few touches here and there. Giving my blog this spring clean made me love blogging again, I feel like it's sprout once again, I've used my favorite colours and all the little doodles I love, I made it more like me, and it makes me very happy!

I thought I'll share a few tips and tricks to anyone who's thinking of giving their blog a makeover.

Update your theme

Even though there are many free templates out there, but there's limits when it comes to customization, they have limited features and options. Like for example , my theme came with the Pinterest widget but free themes don't usually include this kind of  option. You don't have to spend a fortune, my template was under £10 and I couldn't be more happier with it. There are some amazing themes out there to choose from, especially on on Etsy, here's some of my favorite themes.


4.Zoe

Header

That's the first thing people see on your blog, so I think it is important that it's eye catching and looks, well, beautiful! you can keep it simple by using just words or you can add graphics to emphasize it a bit more. you can add a bit of colour like I have or if you're a minimal lover then you can just keep it simple by using a scripted font, there are some amazing ideas on Pinterest.

I created my own header using some doodles I found around the internet, here's an awesome tutorial on how to create your own header.
You can find many free clip art on Pinterest, here are four of my favorites.

Add Widgets  

This is my favorite part, widgets can look so lovely on the side of your page, I've recently discovered a new Instagram widget site (lightwidget) with no silly advertisements involved, it's so easy to use, you just have to type in your user name and then customize it your way, choose how many columns and rows etc. great way to show off those Instagram photos!

Remove The Clutter

I'm guilty for this one, it's so hard not to add every widget there is, every colour in social buttons and stick cute doodle all over the blog, but that doesn't always look good, remove them and keep the essentials. Create an "about me" or "Contact" page instead of writing everything in the sidebar, this way you'll have more white space and that can make your blog look more pleasant and clean

Colour and Font

Adding colour to a blog is not everyone's cup of tea, I know many like to keep it black and white but if you're thinking about it then I suggest using, Designseeds, It's a great site when it comes to choosing perfect colour shades, not just for blogging but other for purposes too.

When it comes to fonts, I wish I can use them but then that would look silly, here are some fonts I've added to my "blogging" board on Pinterest

Changing your social buttons is super easy and it can give your blog a fresh, new  look, There are so many blogs offering free icons to download and you can pick the one that goes with your theme the best, here are some of my favorites:







Thanks for reading, let me know you thought

16 comments

  1. This is such a good idea. I did one recently and I had so much widgets on my side bar and now I have just cleaned it up a little and it looks so much better.

    Zeynab
    The Beauty Load

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! It's so lovely to have a clean layout :) x

      Delete
  2. Oooh I love the idea of spring cleaning my blog. I've been meaning to update some bits on my layout and this was just the push I needed so thank you!

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely blog dear!!! *-*
    I adore its layout, so white, pastel colors and romantic!!! I started follow you on Instagram so I can stay up to date on your new posts!
    xoxo
    www.milleunrossetto.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you so much! really sweet of you :) x

      Delete
  4. I love the spring look themed for my site.
    I might need to try the header tutorial.

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun creating your own header, definitely give it a try :) x

      Delete
  5. Such a useful post and I'm deffo in love with your page girl. Would love to connect with you, check out my blog and giveaway worth £150!

    Kisses xo | From Aliona With Love

    Instagram alionawithlove

    Twitter alionawithlove

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea! Love your blog dear!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just passing by dear
    Have a a great day

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some really lovely ideas! Everything benefits from Spring cleans - bedrooms, kitchens, even blogs! Xx

    ♡ itsjessiejane ♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post! I've been looking for a new blog template all day and I love the ones you've picked out, some great tips too! x

    Sinead | Subject Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this! I change my blog all the time until I make it one that I really like. I like a clean and white space, yours is wonderful!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete

© mev and flor. Design by FCD.